2016/17 Amount Received: £9675
£6000 – The Skegness Junior Academy has bought in to the Sports Partnership created by the Greenwood Dale Foundation Trust and delivered through the Skegness Academy. This partnership provides specialist teaching for pupils and CPD for the whole staff team, through observing sport sessions within our Academy, and bespoke training to meet the needs of our pupils. We are also full members of the Youth Sport Trust, enabling our staff to access valuable training at Key Stage 1 and 2 and also have a clear understanding regarding the national landscape for PE/Sport
£5000 Fun Fit staffing for before school activity inc. snack at the end of the session
£500 Transport to sporting events
Total Expenditure: £ 11,500 (top up linked to other funding)
Use and Impact of Sport Premium:
- CPD for staff through observing specialist teachers
- Pupils accessing a broader range of sports through the purchasing of new equipment and through the interschool /Academy sporting events e.g. New Age Curling, Goal ball which are Para-Olympic events
- Developing differentiation of core and key skills within PE through the use of the sports manuals
- Pupils’ self-esteem and confidence developed through participation in a wide range of sports which have included representing our Academy at events
- Enhanced provision of competitive sports
- Further development of cross curricular links particularly science and mathematics
- Strong partnership with other schools / Academies in competitions
- Change for Life resources implemented
OFSTED July 2015
The academy makes good use of the additional funding it has received to extend the sporting opportunities that are available to pupils. Participation in the trust’s sports partnership has brought in specialist coaching for pupils and is helping to raise the expertise of staff. As a result, pupils’ enjoyment, skills and participation levels are increasing.
Impact – Specialist PE teachers from the Skegness Academy work each week with pupils and share their specialist knowledge with teachers. This acts as a mentoring mechanism and helps to improve the quality and breadth of teaching with primary staff feeling more confident in their PE delivery. This has increased pupils’ understanding of the benefits of physical exercise and participation rates in sporting activities. A growing enthusiasm for PE is evident and is directly related to the increase in competitive opportunities and variety of sports on offer. The wide range of expertise made available through Skegness Academy PE staff has a direct impact on the enrichment of both the PE and afterschool curriculum.
5 A Day subscription
A full year’s subscription to 5 A Day. 5 A Day is an online fitness resource that provided 5 minute fully demonstrated exercise routines. Many of the routines are translated into French, Spanish and Welsh for cross curricular language development
Dance Festival – Year two and three
Twenty children went to Skegness Academy to take part in a dance festival. The day also acted as a CPD opportunity.
Butlin’s Residential for Year Six Gifted and Talented Children
Two children from year six were selected to attend a two day residential camp at Butlin’s, Skegness to work alongside specialist teachers and coaches to develop their skills and confidence in PE and sport. The attended the camp alongside 32 children from 16 primary schools in the local area.
Curricular Provision for PE:
- Indoor and Outdoor PE timetabled for two hours per week in total – games, dance, gymnastics, athletics etc
Extra-Curricular Sport Programme:
- OAA Day for Y3 pupils
- Girls Football
- New Age Curling
- Bikeability for all Year 6 pupils
- Top up swimming provision for Year 6
- Swimming Gala
- Gifted and Talented athletics competition across the Trust
Aims for next academic year:
- Continue to run breakfast fitness club with healthy snack
- Continue to use specialist coaches – developing Team Teach model
- PE rewards in celebration assembly to encourage further participation
- Purchasing further sports equipment to provide a wider range of sporting activities e.g. tri-golf
- Develop the Sports section on the Academy website to share achievements, participation, events and photographs
We are further developing our monitoring system regarding the impact of the Sports Premium.