2017/18 Amount Received: £19,700
£5,500 for coaching with JB coaching so that all staff can have CPD opportunities which has been done by teachers observing the sports coach for two weeks, team teaching for two weeks and then the teachers delivering the whole PE lesson for two weeks. £1,700 PE resources, £6,000 for new playground marking, £2,999 for Butlin sports coaches for alternate after school clubs for all year groups, £250 for competitions entries and £1,751 for coach costs to sports competitions and festivals.
Total Expenditure: £ 19,700
Use and Impact of Sport Premium:
- CPD for staff through observing specialist teachers
- Pupils accessing a broader range of sports through the purchasing of new equipment and through the interschool /Academy sporting events e.g. New Age Curling, Goal ball which are Para-Olympic events
- Developing differentiation of core and key skills within PE through the use of the sports manuals
- Pupils’ self-esteem and confidence developed through participation in a wide range of sports which have included representing our Academy at events
- Enhanced provision of competitive sports
- Further development of cross curricular links particularly science and mathematics
- Strong partnership with other schools / Academies in competitions
- Change for Life resources implemented
OFSTED July 2015
The academy makes good use of the additional funding it has received to extend the sporting opportunities that are available to pupils. Participation in the trust’s sports partnership has brought in specialist coaching for pupils and is helping to raise the expertise of staff. As a result, pupils’ enjoyment, skills and participation levels are increasing.
Impact – Specialist PE teachers from the Skegness Academy work each week with pupils and share their specialist knowledge with teachers. This acts as a mentoring mechanism and helps to improve the quality and breadth of teaching with primary staff feeling more confident in their PE delivery. This has increased pupils’ understanding of the benefits of physical exercise and participation rates in sporting activities. A growing enthusiasm for PE is evident and is directly related to the increase in competitive opportunities and variety of sports on offer. The wide range of expertise made available through Skegness Academy PE staff has a direct impact on the enrichment of both the PE and afterschool curriculum.
5 A Day subscription
A full year’s subscription to 5 A Day. 5 A Day is an online fitness resource that provided 5 minute fully demonstrated exercise routines. Many of the routines are translated into French, Spanish and Welsh for cross curricular language development
Dance Festival – Year two and three
Twenty children went to Skegness Academy to take part in a dance festival. The day also acted as a CPD opportunity.
Year Five and Year Six Gifted and Talented Children
Thirty pupils attend an indoor gifted and talented Athletics competition in Leicester every June, they compete against pupils within the Greenwood Dale Primary Academies. In 2018 Skegness Junior Academy came second.
Curricular Provision for PE:
- Indoor and Outdoor PE timetabled for two hours per week in total – games, dance, gymnastics, athletics, OAA, leadership and team games, athletics
Extra-Curricular Sport Programme:
- Girls Football
- New Age Kurling
- Bikeability for all Year 5 pupils
- Swimming provision for Year 6
- Swimming Gala
- Gifted and Talented athletics competition across the Trust
Aims for next academic year:
- Continue to run breakfast fitness club with healthy snack
- Continue to use specialist coaches – developing Team Teach model
- PE rewards in celebration assembly to encourage further participation
- Purchasing further sports equipment to provide a wider range of sporting activities e.g. tri-golf
- Develop the Sports section on the Academy website to share achievements, participation, events and photographs
We are further developing our monitoring system regarding the impact of the Sports Premium.